Rachel Brummert is Founder and CEO of Patient Safety Impact and Community Impact, collectively known as IMPACT. Personifying her motto, Turning Pain Into Purpose, she uses her voice and passion to advocate for others through public speaking and community engagement.
Since 2006, Rachel has suffered severe adverse reactions to an antibiotic called Levaquin, which disabled her. In addition, she has suffered adverse events from medical devices. Drawing on her experiences over the last 13 years, she uses her voice as a public speaker to educate others and help prevent medical harm. She also uses her voice and skills as a Consumer Representative at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Not only is her story powerful and shocking, but it is also hopeful: Her voice led to vital changes in patient safety.
- Antibiotic stewardship
- Acting as your own advocate
- How to act as an advocate for a loved one
- Understanding FDA procedure
- What you need to know about adverse events from medical devices and medications
- Working as a team with your healthcare providers
- The FDA Consumer Representative perspective
Domestic violence and sexual assault
Rachel is a domestic violence and sexual assault survivor and a trained member of the Mecklenburg County Domestic Violence Speakers Bureau. Through her eyes, we bear witness to the brutal domestic violence she suffered at the hands of an ex. And a violent rape by someone who took an oath to protect and serve. Both left her with scars that heal, and some that don’t. She shares her painful stories of violence at public speaking and community engagement events to raise awareness and to be part of the solution in preventing domestic and sexual violence.
- Coping with PTSD
- Victim shaming: Busting the myths of “Why women don’t report” and “Why don’t they just leave?”
- Recognizing red-flags
- Life after abuse
- Panel discussions about violence and the Strings Attached Documentary
- Engaging with law enforcement: What I wish was done differently in my cases
To book Rachel, e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org